Does the type or breed you are considering match your situation, personality and energy level?
Is there a specific breed in which you are interested? Read up on the breed and/or go on-line to learn about it. You will get some idea of:
- How large the dog will be as an adult?
- Are there specific breed related “issues”? e.g. skin, eye, ear issues, etc. If so, be prepared for unexpected vet bills should the dog have chronic breed issues.
- What are the exercise requirements? Will a few walks per day suffice or do you need to run the dog daily?
- What are the grooming needs; e.g. budgeted $$ for a groomer, regular bathing due to an oily coat, etc.
- If the dog is a working dog, do you have ‘jobs’ to keep it stimulated? A bored, under-exercised dog will most likely get into trouble.
- What you can generally expect of its personality? If the breed generally likes children, does it like to be an only dog, does the breed experience separation anxiety?